Sunday, September 20, 2015

I Gave A Speech About Race To The Publishing Industry And No One Heard Me



Last night, I walked into a mini-disaster. Or to be more precise, I stood on a chair in it.
A few weeks ago, when Publisher’s Weekly asked me to give the keynote speech in a night honoring the industry’s young publishing stars, I jumped at the chance. Talk about your last year, they told me. Talk about what it was like getting published.
My last year has been intense. My book The Sleepwalker’s Guide to Dancing came out, I spent a few months touring internationally, and from a distance, it looked like one big party. Up close, it looked a bit different. This was something I really wanted to get into, as sometimes when we talk about the sad statistics facing writers of color in publishing, they become just that: statistics. I wanted to back that up by talking about what it actually looks like.

Read more at : http://www.buzzfeed.com/mirajacob/you-will-ignore-us-at-your-own-peril#.jtgNDZJ6Z6


No comments:

Post a Comment